PR10-19 - DotNetNuke CMS XSS
- Vulnerability found:
- 30 October 2010
- Vendor informed:
- 01 November 2010
- Severity level:
- Richard Brain of ProCheckUp Ltd (www.procheckup.com)
- DotNetNuke is a Content Management System (CMS) that is based on the .Net framework. Procheckup has discovered that a DotNetNuke programs is vulnerable to a generic reflective Cross Site Scripting (XSS) attack.
Note: DotNetNuke was tested on a fully patched Windows 2003 R2 SP2 and IIS 6, and SQL 2005 were used as the application server and the backend database.
DotNetNuke Versions tested 5.05.01 patched till the 30 October 201
- Proof of concept:
- The following demonstrate the XSS flaw:-
Install page XSS (note the system tested the install process had been completed).
An attacker may be able to cause execution of malicious scripting code in the browser of a user who clicks on a link to a exposed Mura site. Such code would run within the security context of the target domain. This type of attack can result in non-persistent defacement of the target site, or the redirection of confidential information (i.e.: session IDs) to unauthorised third parties.
- How to fix:
- As of the 3 December no patch has been released.
- Copyright 2010 Procheckup Ltd. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for copying and circulating this Bulletin to the Internet community for the purpose of alerting them to problems, if and only if, the Bulletin is not edited or changed in any way, is attributed to Procheckup, and provided such reproduction and/or distribution is performed for non-commercial purposes.
Any other use of this information is prohibited. Procheckup is not liable for any misuse of this information by any third party.