PR10-03 - Authenticated XSS within the Apache Axis2 administration console
- Vulnerability found:
- 30 January 2010
- Vendor informed:
- 01 February 2010
- Severity level:
- Richard Brain of ProCheckUp Ltd (www.procheckup.com)
- Axis2 is a web services/SOAP/WDSL engine, widely used within many commercial products Procheckup has found it used within SAP Business Objects 12 and 3com's IMC network management tool.
- Proof of concept:
- The following demonstrate the XSS flaw:
1) Authenticated XSS normally login as admin and axis2
Note: The above path will change depending on how axis2 has been installed.
Comfirmed vulnerable versions
Used within many different programs SAP business objects and 3COM IMS
Is vulnerable to a vanilla XSS
An attacker may be able to cause execution of malicious scripting code in the browser of a user who clicks on a link to a Axis 2 website. Such code would run within the security context of the target domain. This type of attack can result in non-persistent defacement of the target site, or the redirection of confidential information (i.e.: session IDs) to unauthorised third parties.
- Copyright 2010 Procheckup Ltd. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for copying and circulating this Bulletin to the Internet community for the purpose of alerting them to problems, if and only if, the Bulletin is not edited or changed in any way, is attributed to Procheckup, and provided such reproduction and/or distribution is performed for non-commercial purposes.
Any other use of this information is prohibited. Procheckup is not liable for any misuse of this information by any third party.