PR09-15 - XSS injection vulnerability within HP System Management Homepage (Insight Manager)
- Vulnerability found:
- 11 October 2010
- Vendor informed:
- 28 April 2010
- Severity level:
- Richard Brain of ProCheckUp Ltd (www.procheckup.com)
- A XSS vulnerability has been found within HP System Management; Arising
from insufficient input filtering.
By using a specially-crafted link, and tricking the victim into clicking
on it, an attacker can perform malicious attacks such as the following:
- Hijack user accounts by stealing the victim's cookies that are
assigned to the victim's browser by the vulnerable website
- Hijack user accounts by injecting a "fake" html form on the html
rendered by the victim's web browser
- Redirect the victim to a malicious third-party website which would
perform a phishing attack to steal the user credentials or exploit a
vulnerability (i.e.: buffer overflow) on the victim's web browser in
order to compromise the victim's workstation
Authentication is normally needed, unless system has been configured to
support anonymous autologin.
Successfully tested on:
Tested on Windows 2008 64bit and Centos/Red Hat enterprise
Hardware Proliant DL380 G5 and DL360 G5
Attackers can force the victim's web browser to perform XSS/HTML
injection in the security context of the vulnerable site in order to
gather data from users who visit a page within the target site.
- Proof of concept:
- How to fix:
- HP have issued a fix, download the appropiate update for your operating
system ensuring the sytem management agent is ay least version 126.96.36.199
- Copyright 2009 Procheckup Ltd. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for copying and circulating this Bulletin to the Internet community for the purpose of alerting them to problems, if and only if, the Bulletin is not edited or changed in any way, is attributed to Procheckup, and provided such reproduction and/or distribution is performed for non-commercial purposes.
Any other use of this information is prohibited. Procheckup is not liable for any misuse of this information by any third party